Friday, September 13, 2013

Quietly Pounding the Wall

Today I learned that it is possible to hammer a nail into a wall without waking up sleeping children. How is this, you ask? Well, today, I decided to see if I could make it work. 
After waiting a long time for my very busy and hardworking husband to help with hanging pictures, I decided to take matters into my own hands and help out. I discovered that the thing that makes hammering a nail into a wall loud is not puncturing the wall. Instead, it is the repeated striking of the nail with the hammer. So, I took some fabric from an article of clothing (that had been recently damaged and repurposed into a cleaning rag) and placed it between the nail and hammer. It was instantly quieter. The more fabric between the nail and hammer, the softer it was. Now, the force of the hammer was less effective with more fabric as a barrier, but the extra time I spent hammering the nail into the wall did not disturb the babies nor Erin. Therefore, it worked. Not bad for "eyeball-ing it", eh? 

It seems it's the little things that excite this mom. Can you relate?

(The picture I put up today was this precious pose of me holding Erin at 6 weeks. Love it! So glad it finally made its wall debut! Brooks, who didn't even mention that he noticed it on the wall yet, told me that Erin refuses to believe that it is a picture of her. :) Brooks gets full credit for the two on the far left of the picture, one of which you can't really see here.)

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Glad to see you bloggin' and great job on the pictures. They are SO SWEET!!! Hugs! - Bethi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very resourceful,Susan. And what a beautiful mother and child photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This helped me out late at night while building some IKEA items.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete